I had the experience of a root canal on Thursday last week. In profound contrast to that experience, Sunday was such a joy. There is something special about Mother’s Day and Church - they just seem to go together. My week of “low lows” and “high highs” reminded me how much I need Sunday to navigate life. It was so good to see so many in worship. The children did a great performance (twice) and our music ministries once again made the day so very special. I wish we could all avoid the root canals of Thursday. I wish we could all live everyday as Sunday. One day we will - and that day will never end. Until then, I truly cherish every one of my Sunday’s with all of you.
God’s Love, pastor mark
ps…thank you Table of Grace for feeding our hungry community today
…thank you OASIS for your recent donation to help cover the costs of new carpeting in the older section of our church and honoring Ms. Ruth’s handbell dream.
…thank you good servant hearts for cleaning up the playground area for the CEC end of year picnic
…thank you campus care folks who have kept the grass cut while two of our key servant hearts have the temporary necessary downtime they need
…thank you Ro & the Robinettes for overseeing our Wednesday Night meal for another Fall and Spring cycle
…thank you for the roughly 90 volunteers who have signed up to help with VBS next month
…thank you worship coordinators for carrying out worship when (for an unknown technical reason) - over half of the 40 people involved in worship never got the written worship plan sent out by email on Wednesday! Half did - half did not - it makes no sense! Reach out to me if you have not gotten the plan for this coming Sunday by tomorrow.
…thank you Missions team for the recent Mission Trip Sharing forum on a Wednesday night - it was engaging and very inspirational (especially when Billy began to tear off his shirts - you had to be there!)
…thank you Trustees for fixing the things we do see and the many things we don’t see (those tend to be the bigger things!)
…thank you everyone for all you do - together, we are part of the movement of God from heaven to earth!
Church Job Postings
The FUMC Staff Parish Relations Committee is currently seeking all candidates interested in applying for the role of Youth Director that Camden will be leaving July 30 as he prepares to return to School to pursue his master’s degree in Art. This role oversees our ministry with Middler’s and High Schooler’s. If you are interested, please forward a resume to the Church Office and provide at least two references.
The FUMC CEC Board is currently seeking all candidates interested in applying for the role of CEC Director. This role oversees our Child Enrichment Center preschool that operates during the school year Wednesday and Friday mornings for 2, 3, and 4 yr olds. If you are interested, please forward a resume to the Church Office and provide at least two references.
Relay for Life Event
is Saturday, May 27th from 4:00 pm till 10:00 pm at the Union County Farmer’s Market. You don’t have to be a team member to attend-everyone is invited to Shine Brightly with Hope! Please bring your chair and comfortable walking shoes! Your Relay team thanks you from the bottom of our hearts for all your love and support in the fight against cancer this year!
Relay for Life thanks you for your t-shirt orders to support Relay for Life. The shirts have been ordered. Once they are received, they will be distributed before or after Sunday services. There are two short sleeve shirts that still may be purchased: one is the medium navy with the Georgia Strong; the other is a large pink with the RFL logo. The cost of each shirt is $15. Call Charlene Cook to purchase.
No Wednesday Night Nurture (dinner or programs) until August
There is no UMM Meeting on this third Saturday
(the slide in the preservice slideshow had not been updated) - we are redesigning men’s ministry - stay tuned.
If you have borrowed an annex key from the church office, please return it asap. Thank you.
will hold their 4 year-old graduation this Friday in the sanctuary. Please come join the celebration in watching these children recite and perform while receving their diplomas.
Promotion Sunday this coming Sunday!
We are lifting up our several high school graduates this coming Sunday by picture in worship. If you are graduating from High School this year, make certain we have a recent picture of you so we can celebrate your accomplishment at all three services this Sunday. We also will be lifting up our children who will be moving from our Children’s Ministry to our Youth ministry across the summer. Come celebrate our “Promotions” as one family.
Pray without Ceasing for
- All those with Alzheimers/Dementia related struggles (there are many in our faith family and extended faith family) and all their loving caregivers
- Cone Family and Cobb Family - recent losses
- Mac Warren - at home in Blairsville recovering from cadiac event
- Marian Malac - out patient antibiotic treatments
- Courtney Bruce grandmother - now under hospice care
- Janice Jarrard - sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer
- Our several expectant Mommies and their babies in our congregation
- Kathy Johnson’s Mother - general health (not a candidate for heart valve.)
- Our Confirmation class as they continue to discern
- Doug Shea - home recovering from surgical procedure
- Avis Shaw - upcoming leg procedures
- Sharon Willits - trouble walking
- Kim Kuykendall - general health
- Emily Cobb / Joyce Byers - lots of health issues in extended family members
- Elaine Neuhaus - rehab new shoulder
- Ruth Stefko son (Mike) - lung cancer - chemo and radiation
- Kathy Zimmerman’s sister (Alice Pollert) - more cancer related treatments
- Ron Schultz - heart flutter
- Liz Patton’s Cousin - 14 hours of reconstructive surgery so far
- Alex Box - Hiawassee Rehab Center (recent fall and injury - but back now)
- Martha Cone’s Daughter-in-law (Cathy Cone) - health concerns
- Nancy Sanford’s Mother in Kansas - fell and broke femur - had surgery to install rod - recovering from surgery
- Nancy Joyce’s – Brother-in Law in Penn.- general health
- Alex and Pat Box’s Son (Stephen) – severe health issues related to chronic Lyme disease - long term treatment continues
- Luann, Carol & Bob Head – general health
- Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/neck/pain issues.
A Note from Finance
Thank you so very much FUMC - you are a generous church who gives thanks to God in all times! Thank you so much for funding God’s ministry through this part of the Body of Christ called First United Methodist Church of Union County!