It is good to be back today! Shannon and I spent the week at Pastor’s School. You will hear more about that in the weeks to come. My challenge today is to get caught back up after being gone all week. I have made only one or two modifications to the prayer list. I will need the conversations and visits of this week to catch back up there. For those of you in worship this last Sunday, I know you were blessed by Rev. Blair Tolbert (YHC Dean of Chapel) and I know you enjoyed getting to meet our new CEC Director (Heidi Hall) and our relatively new Contemporary Worship Leader (Eric Miller) at all 3 services We are being intentional in our plan to introduce our newer folks as we prepare for the Fall cycle - don’t miss out - see you in WORSHIP! God’s Joy, mark
Some Key things you need to know about coming up
1. Church Council meeting is at 6:30 pm tonight in the lower level of the MAC - sitting around the tables in the center area.
2. Back Pack to School Event this Saturday - more detailed info below
3. Blessing of the Book Packs this Sunday at all three services. We invite all our students (Preschool through College) to bring your backpacks to Church. At 8:30 and 11, place them on top of the prayer rail before worship begins. At 9:45, place them on either side of the Lord’s Table before worship begins. We will have everyone just stand where you are in the pews or seats this year as we ask for God’s Blessings.
4. Next Spiritual Gathering of Men is 9 am to 10 am August 5 in fellowship hall.
5. Camden Goddard’s farewell reception will be August 9, Wednesday Evening in MAC at 5:30 pm. It is a pot luck so we invite folks to bring a dish as we celebrate’s Camden’s ministries here at FUMC.
6. BUNCO Fellowship in fellowship hall Friday, August 11 - more detail below.
7. Our Connectional Group “Great Night of Music” is at Hiawasse UMC on Sunday evening August 13 at 6:30 pm. The ladies a capella group “Shenanigans” will be representing FUMC. Each UMC provides a musical group to do 2 songs. With 8 UMC’s it ends up being a joyous 60-90 minutes of musical variety. Come early - expanding more this year to handle full house.
8. Wednesday Night Nurture begins August 16 at 5 pm. Indoor picnic in MAC.
July 29th Backpack to School Bash at FUMC
We have had such a great response to our school supply need. The only items we are still in need of is 2 inch binders, composition books, college and wide rule and loose leaf paper, college and wide rule…We have 352 children preregistered with a walk up availability of 50 so we really think we may hit 400!! God is Good!!We would love to see you this Saturday from 11-2…Come check it out! Much Love, Tricia
Stephen Ministry Prayer / Healing Service as we kick off Wed Nights
On Wednesday, August 16th the Stephen Ministry is holding a prayer/healing service to pray for our teachers, support staff and students as they begin a new school year. All are invited.
YAH Back to School “Bunco Fellowship” Friday, August 11th 6:00pm
In the Fellowship Hall - Everyone should bring an appetizer or a dessert and a $2.00 per person donation. Bunco has been played in America at least since the 1800’s. It is a game of pure luck; no real skill is required other than rolling dice. However, the game is played in upbeat, social settings involving a lot of eating and fellowship! Grab a friend and join us!
The church is offering CPR classes twice in August. The first class is Saturday, August 12th from 9 till noon. The second class will be Wednesday, 23rd from 6 pm till 9 pm. Space is limited. Sign up sheets will be on the narthex desk.
Pray without Ceasing for
World peace - every nation, every family, every child, every soul
Our entire staff team
Several expectant Mommies in our congregation
Our District Superintendent’s (Rev. Richard Chewning) Mother passed.
Claudia Deprez - undergoing chemo
Phil Salling - leg procedure this Thursday
Rick Gutierrez - more analysis required, some abnormal cells present, waiting for results
All those with Alzheimers/Dementia related struggles (there are many in our faith family and extended faith family) and all their loving caregivers
Martha Preston - Murphy Nursing Home for rehab recovering from hip surgery
Debbie Steed - diverticulitis - preparing for upcoming procedure August 15
Kim Kuykendall - test’s and evaluations continue
Janice Jarrard - sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Sharon Willits - trouble walking
Ruth Stefko son (Mike Stefko) and daughter (Dawn Chappel)
Kathy Zimmerman’s sister (Alice Pollert) - more cancer related treatments
Liz Patton’s son - struggling with PTSD
Alex Box - Hiawassee Rehab Center (visitors welcome!) Room A29 - driving from Blairsville take the first left up the hill after you pass McConnel Baptist Church in Hiawassee.
Nancy Sanford’s Mother in Kansas - alzheimers and now also lung cancer
Nancy Joyce’s - Brother-in Law in Penn.- general health
Alex and Pat Box’s Son (Stephen) – severe health issues related to chronic Lyme disease - long term treatment continues
Luann, Carol & Bob Head – general health
Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/neck/pain issues.
Through our sacrificial service, God will reach people, touch souls, change hearts, and launch disciples (that’s Church!)
A Note from Finance
THANK YOU FUMC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Received YTD (27 Sundays)
July 2nd $25,118 $557,141
July 9th $17,442 $574,584
July 16th $33,894 $608,478
July 23rd $15,191 $623,669
Please remember FUMC in your legacy trusts & wills!