I must admit that Sunday was a very emotional day for us. All who were here know that we took the time at all three worship services with Camden to acknowledge and celebrate his many ministries since Sunday was his last day serving as our Youth Director. Thank you Camden for being present at all 3 services. We also took the time to properly send off Kyle Wilkins (our drummer for OVERFLOW at THE WELL for the last 2 years) to the Universty of North Georgia. These folks are family. We love them and we will miss them. We share life together in this place of grace. Truly appreciate every moment we all share together as the blessing God has sent.
God’s Peace, pastor mark
Last Saturday’s Backpack to School Bash was a tremendous success! Over 375 families were given school supplies. Thank you everyone for your help in this huge community event!
Pastor Mark will meet with the Youth (6th graders to 12th graders) this Wednesday night at 6 pm in the lower level of the MAC to talk about the transition from Camden’s ministry to Jennifer’s ministry for all youth who are interested. It will also give pastor mark a chance to pray for you before the school year begins. Come be with your pastor before school begins.
FUMC Prayer Team Meeting is this Thursday at 5:30 pm in the board room for one hour. All members of our church are invited to attend.
Spiritual Gathering of Men is this Saturday.
Meet with us for one hour in the Fellowship Hall this Saturday from 9 am to 10 am. Jay Golden (from our praise band OVERFLOW) will be helping with the music this time. Pastor mark will be leading the devotional time and meeting time.
Camden Goddard’s farewell reception will be August 9,
Wednesday evening in MAC at 5:30 pm. It is a pot luck with the church providing ham and chicken. You are asked to bring a side dish or dessert as we celebrate’s Camden’s many ministries here at FUMC. There will be a basket out to receive any cards and appreciation gifts at the dinner for Camden.
Not this week, but Upcoming Key Events
1. YAH Back to School “Bunco Fellowship” Friday, August 11th 6:00pm In the Fellowship Hall - Everyone should bring an appetizer or a dessert and a $2.00 per person donation. Bunco has been played in America at least since the 1800’s. It is a game of pure luck; no real skill is required other than rolling dice. However, the game is played in upbeat, social settings involving a lot of eating and fellowship! Join us!
2. The church is offering CPR classes twice in August. The first class is Saturday, August 12th from 9 till noon. The second class will be Wednesday, 23rd from 6 pm till 9 pm. Space is limited. Sign up sheets will be on the narthex desk.
3. Our Connectional Group “Great Night of Music” is at Hiawasse UMC on Sunday evening August 13 at 6:30 pm. The ladies a capella group “Shenanigans” will be representing FUMC. Each UMC provides a musical group to do 2 songs. With 8 UMC’s it ends up being a joyous 60-90 minutes of musical variety. Come early - expanding more this year to handle full house.
4. Wednesday Night Nurture begins August 16 at 5 pm. Indoor picnic in MAC. Church will provide bbq. You are asked to bring the side dishes and desserts. This will be followed with the youth meeting Jennifer and the Stephen Ministry Prayer/Healing Service.
5. Jennifer de la Montagne (our new Youth Director) and Erin Fincannon (our Youth Helper from last year) will be here to meet both youth and parents on Wednesday night August 16 at 6 pm in the lower level of the MAC.
6. Stephen Ministry Prayer / Healing Service: On Wednesday, August 16th the Stephen Ministry is holding a prayer/healing service to pray for our teachers, support staff and students as they begin a new school year. All are invited.
7. Parents, you will begin to see our new Nursery Director (Donna Fredericks) in the nursery area during August.
Pray without Ceasing for
World peace - every nation, every family, every child, every soul
Back to School transition for everyone involved
The two UMC related agencies in our neighborhood (YHC & Brannon Lodge)
Our entire staff team
Camden Goddard & Kyle Wilkins
Several expectant Mommies in our congregation
Claudia Deprez - undergoing chemo
Phil Salling - healing from leg procedure
Hugh Lee - broken hip
Lee Dunham - recovering from toe surgery
Helen Owenby - broken arm
Rick Gutierrez - not cancer - still healing
David Lifsey - GI surgery friday to resolve chronic reflux problems
All those with Alzheimers/Dementia related struggles (there are many in our faith family and extended faith family) and all their loving caregivers
Martha Preston - Murphy Nursing Home for rehab recovering from hip surgery
Debbie Steed - diverticulitis - preparing for upcoming procedure August 15
Kim Kuykendall - test’s and evaluations continue
Janice Jarrard - sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Sharon Willits - in Jasper undergoing tests - trouble walking
Ruth Stefko son (Mike Stefko) and daughter (Dawn Chappel)
Kathy Zimmerman’s sister (Alice Pollert) - more cancer related treatments
Liz Patton’s son - struggling with PTSD
Alex Box - Hiawassee Rehab Center (visitors welcome!) Room A29 - driving from Blairsville take the first left up the hill after you pass McConnel Baptist Church in Hiawassee.
Nancy Sanford’s Mother in Kansas - alzheimers and now also lung cancer
Nancy Joyce’s - Brother-in Law in Penn.- general health
Alex and Pat Box’s Son (Stephen) – severe health issues related to chronic Lyme disease - long term treatment continues
Luann, Carol & Bob Head – general health
Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/neck/pain issues.
Through our sacrificial service, God will reach people, touch souls, change hearts, and launch disciples (that’s Church!)
A Note from Finance
Through your amazing generosity, we have now 100% covered the cost of our new HVAC unit in the Fundamentals Room without impacting our existing ministry plan! Thank you Church!
July 2nd $25,118 $557,141
July 9th $17,442 $574,584
July 16th $33,894 $608,478
July 23rd $15,191 $623,669
July 30th $19,570 $643,239