The OASIS Pickleball class
IF ONLY WE KNEW….
Wednesday Night Nurture
Disciple 1 Bible Study Fast Track Orientation Mtg
will happen two times; once at 5:30 pm this Wednesday and again this coming Sunday after the 11 am service for 20 minutes. Come to one or the other to check out the study, ask questions of Mark and Shannon and sign up to take the class. Both mtg’s are in the Sanctuary. You must come to one of these meetings if you are taking the class, we will hand out your reading assignments and copy of week one materials to those wishing to participate in the 24 week study that beginsSunday, September 10. It’s time to decide.
Disciple 2 Bible Study Fast Track Orientation Mtg
Women’s Bible Study
The Union County Relay for Life
team is looking for members to help plan and organize the 2018 event. A planning meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 7th at 5 pm in the Blairsville Civic Center.
Morning Glory Circle
has begun their coat collecting for distribution this November. You may drop off your gently used winter coats in the closet across from the MAC desk.
Volunteers for the Quilts of Valor Foundation
make and present patriotic quilts to veterans who served in a combat zone. You can nominate a veteran for this gift at www.qovf.org. Call Anna Stone at 706-745-5943 or Diane Simonsen at 706-745-0004 if you have any questions or need help submitting the request for a Quilt of Valor.
Not this week, but Upcoming Key Events
1.Young Harris College is proud to welcome the world famous Glen Miller Orchestra to the YHC campus on Thursday, September 14th at 7pm. Please join us for a fine evening of beautiful music. The Fine Arts Building on the YHC campus has recently undergone extensive renovations thanks to the generosity of YHC Board of Trustee member Richard McGinnis and his wife, Shirley. In addition to a new name, Glenn~McGinnis Hall now offers new, comfortable seating, improved sound and acoustics for top quality musical and theatrical performances, an improved HVAC system to minimize noise, and enhanced lighting. Tickets are $25 per person, $15 per faculty member and $5 for students, and may be purchased at yhc.edu/glennmcginnis. To learn more about Glenn~McGinnis Hall including information on how to name a seat or to order Glen Miller tickets by phone, call the YHC Office of Advancement at (706) 379-5173.
2. September 17 will be YHC Sunday here at FUMC. The YHC Concert Choir will be here at 8:30 am and 11 am services along with several special speakers. At 9:45, we are doing our formal launch of THE WELL to our community. Come be a part of a special day!
3. Fall Festival October 13 & 14 … Our 2017 Fall Festival coming in October will be one of our largest community outreach events of the year. Included in this 2 day event will be a Craft Sale, Silent Auction, Bakery, Country Store, Candy Shoppe, Clothes Sale, and a Treasure Sale @ the Annex. All proceeds will go toward retiring the MAC debt! WE WILL NEED THE INVOLVEMENT OF EVERYBODY! We are in need of sale items for each of the areas of the Festival. Start now … Crafters, Bakers, Candy Makers. Also do you have an item or a service that we could offer in our Silent Auction? Call Stan at the church office(706-745-2073) if you would be willing to help in any way with this outreach event. Thank you!
Deborah Polston Human Trafficking Presentation –
a Story of Rescue & Redemption Sunday, September 24, 2017 2 pm in our SanctuaryA member of our congregation is a good friend of Deborah. That connection has made this very special event possible for us. Deborah is appointed by Florida’s Governor as that states Human Trafficking Advocate. She resides in Florida where her husband is the Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice. Deborah has a story to tell. Her passion is for fighting a good fight against the powers in our world that promote the horrendous global practice of human trafficking. A love offering will be received at the 2 pm presentation. This is open to our entire community. Help us get the word out as we all have a profound opportunity to learn more about this rising problem in our world (a problem that has Atlanta at it’s hub.) Come hear this story! Deborah will be the mission moment at all three services on Sunday, September 24.
Pray without Ceasing for
- The people along the TX/LA Gulf Coast
- Our military families - many recent deployments
- The two UMC related agencies in our neighborhood (YHC & Brannon Lodge)
- Our entire staff team
- Several expectant Mommies in our congregation
- All those with Alzheimers/Dementia related struggles
- Bud Akins - brother in law passed this weekend (the Weaver Family)
- Claudia Deprez - chemo treatments
- David Kuykendall - Father’s general health
- Roy Whitelock - skin cancer procedure on Monday
- Myron Turner - at UGH Room #305 – pneumonia
- Joyce Byers - another brother recent heart attack
- Phil Salling - healing from leg procedure
- Hugh Lee - moved to Nursing home in Blue Ridge
- Norm Rogers - recent prostate cancer diagnosis
- Kris and Larry Ferguson – their 38 year old daughter Holly just got diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Janice Taylor - recent breast cancer diagnosis
- Janice Jarrard - sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer
- Sharon Willits - general health
- Ruth Stefko son (Mike Stefko) - cancer treatments done for now - scans planned at end of September - and daughter (Dawn Chappel) - general health
- Kathy Zimmerman’s sister (Alice Pollert) - more cancer related treatments
- Alex Box - Chatuge Regional Nursing Home (visitors welcome!) Room A29 - driving from Blairsville take the first left up the hill after you pass McConnel Baptist Church in Hiawassee.
- Nancy Sanford’s Mother in Kansas - alzheimers and now also lung cancer
- Nancy Joyce’s – Brother-in Law in Penn.- general health
- Alex and Pat Box’s Son (Stephen) – severe health issues related to chronic Lyme disease - long term treatment continues
- Luann, Carol & Bob Head – general health
- Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/neck/pain issues.
Through our sacrificial service, God will reach people, touch souls, change hearts, and launch disciples (that’s Church!)