Thank you FUMC men for coming to our 2nd Spiritual Gathering of Men. I will be sending out a separate email to move forward all the decisions you made on Saturday. Sunday was also very good day! There is something special about the faith family gathering all together around the LORD’s Table. And it is a thrill to have children and infants at all three services so all generations are present. I hope that continues! The Men’s Bible Study has satrted back up on Tuesdays at 10 am taught by Chuck Morgan. Please note Camden’s reception tomorrow night - details are below. Pray for our CEC Preschool. Friday is “Meet Your Teacher” Day and School begins Monday. So get ready to have about sixty 2 yr olds, 3 yr olds and 4 yr olds on campus Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - drive carefully - many small children on campus! We also have a very full weekend this coming weekend. Remember the BUNCO fellowship at 6 pm on Friday night in the fellowship hall. On Saturday morning, August 12, we will gather to celebrate the life and faith of James Jarrard at FUMC. The family will be present for the visitation in our Sanctuary from 10 to 11 am before the service. The service will begin at 11 am. Then our Sunday worship will include new members uniting with THE Christ that is moving through us. And finally on Sunday evening, please remember the Great Night of Music at Hiawassee UMC, August 13 at 6:30 pm. The women’s group Shenanigans will be representing FUMC. I am told Hiawassee UMC is planning for overflow into their fellowship hall with remote display there. Carpool if you can so we all have room to park. Come early.
God’s Peace, pastor mark
Camden Goddard’s farewell reception will be TOMORROW NIGHT in the MAC at 5:30 pm. It is a pot luck with the church providing ham and chicken. You are asked to bring a side dish or dessert as we celebrate’s Camden’s many ministries here at FUMC. There will be a basket out to receive any cards and appreciation gifts at the dinner for Camden.
Not this week, but Upcoming Key Events:
1. Wednesday Night Nurture begins August 16 at 5 pm. Indoor picnic in MAC. Church will provide bbq. You are asked to bring the side dishes and desserts. This will be followed with the youth meeting Jennifer and the Stephen Ministry Prayer/Healing Service.
2. Jennifer de la Montagne (our new Youth Director) and Erin Fincannon (our Youth Helper from last year) will be here to meet both youth and parents on Wednesday night August 16 at 6 pm in the lower level of the MAC.
3. Stephen Ministry Prayer / Healing Service: On Wednesday, August 16th our Stephen Ministry Team is holding a prayer/healing service to pray for our teachers, support staff and students as they begin a new school year. All are invited.
4. Parents, you will begin to see our new Nursery Director (Donna Fredericks) in the nursery area during August. Greet her and welcome her!
5. Two new classes for Adults on Wednesday Nights begin August 23rd at 6 pm. First, Rod McClarnon will be teaching a multiweek study entitled “Whose Plan is it Anyway?” Second, Pastor mark will be teaching a three week UM101 course - good class for people wanting to find out what iit means to be a Methodist. Nursery is provided on Wednesday nights along with Children’s programs and Youth programs. All start at 6 pm.
6. UMM/BSA Troop 101 Community Breakfast Saturday, August 26
7. Help us paint the inside and outside of our local Habitat for Humanity House August 26 (spilling into the next week as necessary to complete the work.)
8. Shannon and Mark Burgess will be facilitating a Disciple 1 fast track 24 week Bible study course on Sunday afternoons beginning September 10
. Contact Shannon at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you wish to sign up or have questions. This is a perfect study for folks who have never done any Bible study at anytime in their life.
CPR Class for THIS Saturday has been postponed due to the funeral service for James Jarrard. The class has been rescheduled for Saturday, September 23rd from 9 am till noon. There is also still space left in the class on Wednesday, August 23rd class from 6 pm till 9 pm. Sign up sheets is on the narthex desk.
Closed for the Eclipse but Open for Sunday Worship:
The Church Council Eclipse Task Force conversation has resulted in the decision that it’s in the best interest of the church to close the entire campus on Monday, August 21st (Eclipse Monday). We plan to block off the 515 entrances with ‘friendly, but firm’ signage and vehicles to protect our parking for Sunday worship and also to keep vehicles out on Monday - the day of the eclipse. Eclipse Glasses will be sold at all 3 Sunday services for the next 2 Sundays. Cost is $2 per pair. These are certified, protective glasses to view the eclipse.
Pray without Ceasing for:
- World peace - every nation, every family, every child, every soul
- CEC and YHC start of the school year next week
- The two UMC related agencies in our neighborhood (YHC & Brannon Lodge)
- Our entire staff team
- Jennifer de la Montagne (New Youth Director) & Erin Fincannon (Youth Helper)
- Several expectant Mommies in our congregation
- Janice Jarrard and extended family
- Claudia Deprez - chemo treatments
- Phil Salling - healing from leg procedure
- Hugh Lee - broken hip - UGH Room 309
- Marian Malac - more problems breathing - UGH Room 321
- Bob Eshelman - weak - UGH Room 209
- Helen Owenby - broken arm (home)
- Gail McGuire - knee replacement thursday, August 10
- Virginia Lane - oral surgery August 18
- Frank Loy - carpel tunnel procedure on left hand August 18
- David Lifsey - should be coming home from Northside Hospital today
- All those with Alzheimers/Dementia related struggles (there are many in our faith family and extended faith family) and all their loving caregivers
- Martha Preston - relocated to Ohio
- Ro Robbins - new knee August 18
- Debbie Steed - diverticulitis - preparing for upcoming procedure August 15
- Kim Kuykendall - test’s and evaluations continue
- Janice Jarrard - sister diagnosed with ovarian cancer
- Sharon Willits - in Jasper undergoing tests - trouble walking
- Ruth Stefko son (Mike Stefko) and daughter (Dawn Chappel)
- Kathy Zimmerman’s sister (Alice Pollert) - more cancer related treatments
- Liz Patton’s son - struggling with PTSD
- Alex Box - Chatuge Regional Nursing Home (visitors welcome!) Room A29 - driving from Blairsville take the first left up the hill after you pass McConnel Baptist Church in Hiawassee.
- Nancy Sanford’s Mother in Kansas - alzheimers and now also lung cancer
- Nancy Joyce’s – Brother-in Law in Penn.- general health
- Alex and Pat Box’s Son (Stephen) – severe health issues related to chronic Lyme disease - long term treatment continues
- Luann, Carol & Bob Head – general health
- Shirley Cobb/Bob Head/Eva Breedlove/Carol Warren – chronic back/neck/pain issues.
What a privilege it is to be part of this generous faith family!
August 6th $27,550 $ 670,790